The focus for most Windows 11 users has been, understandably, the release of Windows 11 2022 Update and all of the new features and options it brings. But Microsoft has also released a preview of the KB5017383 update for Windows 11 ahead of its proper release next Patch Tuesday.
Although this is a non-security update, it is an important one for a number of reasons. Firstly, it addresses several issues with Windows 11 including a blue screen problem and another issue with the Microsoft Store. Secondly, the update adds new features to the operating system such as new options for widgets and adding WebAuthn redirection.
For fans of widgets, the arrival of more dynamic Widgets content will be welcome. Microsoft says that “when you open the Widgets board, a banner appears at the top of the board [which] provides more information about what triggered the notification badge”.
Despite not being a security update, the list of fixes included in the KB5017383 update is substantial, making it well worth installing, even if it is a preview.
In addition to the highlights listed above, Microsoft also shared a lengthier changelog for the KB5017383 update preview:
- New! Introduces WebAuthn redirection. It lets you authenticate in apps and on websites without a password when you use Remote Desktop. Then, you can use Windows Hello or security devices, such as Fast Identity Online 2.0 (FIDO2) keys.
- New! Adds more dynamic Widgets content to your taskbar with notification badging. When you open the Widgets board, a banner appears at the top of the board. It provides more information about what triggered the notification badge.
- Addresses an issue that requires you to reinstall an app if the Microsoft Store has not signed that app. This issue occurs after you upgrade to a newer OS.
- Addresses an issue that stops codecs from being updated from the Microsoft Store.
- Addresses a race condition in framework autorepair registration. This issue occurs because a registration key is missing.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Network Policy Server Management (NPSM) service. This issue causes major delays when you sign out.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Windows Search service. Indexing progress is slow when you use the service.
- Addresses an issue that affects cached credentials for security keys and FIDO2 authentications. On hybrid domain-joined devices, the system removes these cached credentials.
- Addresses an issue that affects a network’s static IP. The issue causes the configuration of the static IP to be inconsistent. Because of this, NetworkAdapterConfiguration() fails sporadically.
- Addresses a rare stop error that happens after you change the display mode and more than one display is in use.
- Addresses an issue that affects rendering in Desktop Window Manager (DWM). This issue might cause your device to stop responding in a virtual machine setting when you use certain video graphics drivers.
- Addresses an issue that affects graphics drivers that use d3d9on12.dll.
- Addresses an issue that forces the IE mode tabs in a session to reload.
- Addresses an issue that successfully opens a browser window in IE mode to display a PDF file. Later, browsing to another IE mode site within the …….