If your VPN connection is blocked by the Firewall on your computer or VPN is not working, this guide could be handy for you. Here is how you can allow VPN through Firewall in Windows 11 and Windows 10. Whether you use the in-built firewall or third-party firewall software, you can follow these troubleshooting tips and tricks to enable VPN through firewall.
How to allow VPN through Firewall in Windows 11/10
To allow VPN through Firewall in Windows 11 or Windows 10, you need to add the VPN app to the exception list. In other words, you need to allow the VPN app through firewall on your computer. As there are countless firewall programs available for Windows, it is pretty impossible to mention the steps for all of them. However, if you use Windows Defender Firewall on your computer, you can go through this guide.
To allow VPN through Firewall in Windows 11/10, follow these steps:
- Search for windows defender firewall in the Taskbar search box.
- Click on the search result.
- Select the Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall option.
- Click the Change settings button.
- Click on the Allow another app option.
- Click the Browse button and select the app.
- Click the Network types button.
- Tick both checkboxes and click the OK button.
- Click the Add button.
Let’s check out these steps in detail.
First, you need to open the Windows Defender Firewall. For that, search for windows defender firewall in the Taskbar search box and click on the individual search result. Then, click the Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall option and click the Change settings option.
Then, click the Allow another app button and click the Browse button to select the .exe file.
Following that, click on the Network types button, tick both checkboxes and click on the OK button.
Next, click the Add button to save the change.
Once done, check if you can access VPN or not.
Read: How to allow or block a program in Windows Firewall
Allow Port through Firewall
Sometimes, allowing the VPN app may not be enough. You need to allow the Port as well.
To allow Port through Firewall in Windows 11/10, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click on the Advanced settings option.
- Select the Inbound Rules option and click the New Rule option.
- Select the Port and click the Next button.
- Select the All local ports option and click the Next button.
- Choose Allow the connection option.
- Select all three options in the Profile tab.
- Enter a name and description and click the Finish button.
To learn more about these steps, continue reading.
First, you need to open the Windows Defender Firewall and click on the Advanced settings option. Then, choose the Inbound Rules option and click on the New Rule option to create a new rule.
Following that, select the Port option and click the Next button.
Then, you need to choose TCP</…….